What are you reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heir to the Empire

hehe, it's a starwars novel. although it's THE starwars novel. this series is responsible (along with a comic book called dark empire) is responsible for the fans being revitalized and many a novel would not have been written if this one had not set the precedent.. the fact that almost all all the novels written later suck.. is too bad.

the first book opens, the Rebellion, now known as the New Republic, is still fighting to mop up final Imperial resistance and set up a functional government. Out in the fringes of the galaxy, the most brilliant of all the hand-picked Grand Admirals is gaining strength and preparing to attack the New Republic. After convincing a Dark Jedi to join his side, Grand Admiral Thrawn is confident in his victory.
    Very goog one. Should have inspired a good movie trilogy...

I have read, a long time ago, a 'parody' (another very good one), about a noble empire overthroned by a corrupt republic. I don't remeber the name...

Comment

Originally posted by Deidre View Post
      The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. CS Lewis went from being a staunch atheist to a strong believer in Christ. I find him very easy to relate to, these days. Have read this book a few times, but coming back to some classics. (I don't read modern literature, as it just lacks what the classics seem to have)
      We seem to have a lot in common, I listened to TSL in cd form about 10 years ago, certainly kept me entertained during 90min long drives to/from work. Brilliant, both the content and narration. I wish I'd listened much earlier.
      >>"and in other news, the Judge in the case of AVFM Vs Feminazism ruled today that the creators of 'Gender Equality' are guilty of Intent to Obtain Social Change by Deception. The Feminazi case collapsed just one day into the trial, after a 1st year medical student demonstrated that men are not, in fact, equal to women".<<

Newbie AVFM Member, 2 days in: "My eyes, why do my eyes hurt?"

Jaybee, cautious tone: "You've never used them before".

Comment

Don't have the patience for books. Too much filler, too much waffle that passes as 'character development'.

I stick with Fanfiction, the summaries are often pretty indicative, given the stories are usually 2-10k words long they can't waste too much of your time, and those that do are outed in 2 mins tops. Put together a series of fave authors and you're onto a very good thing.
        >>"and in other news, the Judge in the case of AVFM Vs Feminazism ruled today that the creators of 'Gender Equality' are guilty of Intent to Obtain Social Change by Deception. The Feminazi case collapsed just one day into the trial, after a 1st year medical student demonstrated that men are not, in fact, equal to women".<<

Newbie AVFM Member, 2 days in: "My eyes, why do my eyes hurt?"

Jaybee, cautious tone: "You've never used them before".

Comment

Originally posted by Venant View Post
          Very good one. Should have inspired a good movie trilogy...

yes.. its not as good as i remember but zahn was one of my favourites before this series..and still is today.

and the new SW looks like its all SJW + PC garbage.. i am trying to get my hopes WAY DOWN so maybe the movie will appear good to me ;]
          Originally posted by MatrixTransform
          where were you before you put yourself last?
          Originally posted by TheNarrator
          Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh67 View Post
            I just came across "DemoCRIPS and reBloodlicans: No More Gangs in Government" by Jesse Ventura at the library today, Of course, with a cover like that, I just had to take it out. I put everything else on hold and started reading it right away. I haven't even finished the 5th page of the introduction yet (out of 10) and already what he's written is completely terrifying to me. If what he's writing is truly the attitude of the US government (including Obama as the book's been updated to include at least up to the 2012 election, published in 2013), then the world as a whole is well and truly fucked.
            i'll look it up..im inclined to almost always be on jesse's side... i dont disagree with him often and i think he's spot on even when i disagree!
            Originally posted by MatrixTransform
            where were you before you put yourself last?
            Originally posted by TheNarrator
            Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Deidre View Post
              The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis.
              Oddly enough, my buddy bought me that audiobook to listen to in my car on my latest trip down South. Made it about halfway through so far. We're not Christians but we do have eclectic tastes.

Currently reading:

1.) Ego and Archetype by Edward Edinger (really appreciating it; over halfway through)

2.) Process: The Writing Lives of Great Authors by Sarah Stodola (audio format -- interesting thus far; includes info on Franz Kafka, David Foster Wallace, and a bunch of other's writing processes)

3.) The Perennial Philosophy by Aldous Huxley (this one I'm not as much of a fan of, now over halfway in, and am procrastinating on completing it -- seems to hold more appeal to religious folks curious about comparative religion studies)

4.) The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X and Alex Haley (been meaning to get to this one for a long time; just starting it)

Recently completed:

4.) Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich (was okay -- nothing too shocking and focuses primarily on lower-working-class mothers)

5.) The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty by Dan Ariely (2013 edition -- enjoyable, particularly the final chapter on morality)

6.) The 50th Law by Robert Greene and 50 Cent (aka Curtis Jackson) (audio format -- would recommend to others; been re-listening to excerpts)

7.) Desperation by Stephen King (haven't read a book by him since my teens, aside from listening to his audiobook On Writing a month back and loved that -- found this to be a page-turner, better than most of his other stuff I read in the past)
              Last edited by Byenia; 05-21-2016, 07:29 AM.
              “We’re not on our journey to save the world but to save ourselves. But in doing that, you save the world. The influence of a vital person vitalizes.” ― Joseph Campbell

Comment

Stephen King, such a great writer. I will have to check that book out, Byenia

Comment

Sun Tzu: The Art of War
                  Pretty well-known I think.

Iron John: A Book About Men - by Robert Bly
                  This one is blowing me away actually. I'm gonna have to reread with a yellow marker at hand because it has so many elements I want to explore deeper. Wonderful account about so many aspects of masculinity and its historical pathways by means of an ancient fairy tale that contains far more layers than most modern people are able to distinguish. So much forgotten knowledge, rituals and wisdom in an average-sized book.

Nordic Gods and Heroes - by Padraic Colum
                  Got me a fetish for Viking stuff since I was a kid, but this is a great rewrite of Edda verses into stories that are easy to recall. Reads very pleasantly.

Comment

Sadly, I'm not reading anything. Haven't found anything new that's piqued my interest. Generally, I like fantasy. Tokein's Lord of the Rings, Jordan's Wheel of Time, or the Shannara series by Brooks. But I've read them all and need to find new ones (or old ones that I've missed out on).

Comment

How about the Myth Inc. series? Have you read those yet? I'd also suggest the Mordant's Need series by Stephen R. Donaldson (The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through) and Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.
                      When a woman says to a man 'IF you really love me you would (INSERT VERB HERE)... 'IF you really love me you should buy/give/take/do X, Y, Z'... That's using...that's testing. And my answer to that is always; 'IF you loved me you wouldn't have asked that fucking question, now pack your shit and get the fuck out of my house.' - Maxx

Asking a feminist about men's rights is like asking a cattle rancher about veganism.

Comment

Stephen R. Donaldson's Reave the Just and Other Short Stories was a great read too. Not as much commitment required as a series.
                        “We’re not on our journey to save the world but to save ourselves. But in doing that, you save the world. The influence of a vital person vitalizes.” ― Joseph Campbell

Comment

Originally posted by Byenia View Post
                          Stephen R. Donaldson's Reave the Just and Other Short Stories was a great read too. Not as much commitment required as a series.
                          Eh, I like series. I like the commitment. If the story is compelling then a long series (like WoT for instance) means I can immerse myself in this other world for weeks, not just a day or two.

Originally posted by Kosh67 View Post
                          How about the Myth Inc. series? Have you read those yet? I'd also suggest the Mordant's Need series by Stephen R. Donaldson (The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through) and Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King.
                          Haven't heard of the first two. I tried Eyes of the Dragon before and only got a couple of chapters in. SK's style just doesn't seem to interest me.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesNunya View Post
                            Eh, I like series. I like the commitment. If the story is compelling then a long series (like WoT for instance) means I can immerse myself in this other world for weeks, not just a day or two.
                            Even though Mordant's Need is only 2 books long, I'd still highly suggest it. When I went through it before, it took me about a month to get through them both. You might also want to try The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. It's a series of 3 trilogies and the main character is a leper who's missing 2 fingers on his right hand. He's such a pessimist that he doesn't even believe in the existence of the world he eventually finds himself in (hence the "Unbeliever" part).
                            When a woman says to a man 'IF you really love me you would (INSERT VERB HERE)... 'IF you really love me you should buy/give/take/do X, Y, Z'... That's using...that's testing. And my answer to that is always; 'IF you loved me you wouldn't have asked that fucking question, now pack your shit and get the fuck out of my house.' - Maxx

Asking a feminist about men's rights is like asking a cattle rancher about veganism.

Comment

I've finally gotten around to reading "A Brief History of Time". I've always been one to lean more toward hard sciences, and with no textbooks available to me, I consider this book to be a decent enough substitute. I also need to finish reading "The Greatest Show On Earth"; about halfway through it last time I put it down, if I'm remembering right.
                              You don't know anything;
                              You never knew anything;
                              Now you know that you don't know;
                              All on a Christmas morning!

Comment

If you can keep your head when all about you
                                Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
                                If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
                                But make allowance for their doubting too:
                                If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
                                Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
                                Or being hated don't give way to hating,
                                And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
                                If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
                                If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
                                And treat those two impostors just the same:.
                                If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
                                Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
                                Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
                                And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
                                And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
                                And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
                                And never breathe a word about your loss:
                                If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
                                To serve your turn long after they are gone,
                                And so hold on when there is nothing in you
                                Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
                                Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,
                                If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
                                If all men count with you, but none too much:
                                If you can fill the unforgiving minute
                                With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
                                Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
                                And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling
                                "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

"What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
                                "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

"What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

Comment

Working...
                                X