Clemency!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clemency!!

Last year some celebrities started making noise about an incarcerated woman named Cyntoia Brown.

I'll bullet point the story as the "left" has been telling it:
    1. Cyntoia was forced into prostitution
    2. She was 16 so her johns were all "pedophiles".
    3. She killed one of them in self defense.
    4. It's unconscionable that an underage victim of sex-traffic should be tried as an adult.
    5. She must be freed!
    Number 4 is insidious because on its face it may be a true statement, but it requires more information to determine if it even applies in this situation.

The outgoing governor of Tennessee signed a clemency order for her yesterday. She's to be released in August even though the clemency board had just split badly last year over whether she should be granted early release.

Now, let's look at the less biased version:
    1. She ran away from a foster home. (No evidence of abuse or neglect that I'm aware of)
    2. She met a man named "Cut-Throat" and started dating him.
    3. He eventually told her she needed to bring some money in.
    4. She tried to hitch a ride from a guy named Johnny Allen.
    5. She told Johnny she was over 18. She later told the police the same thing and they scheduled her in adult court initially because they believed her.
    6. She negotiated a price for sex and they went back to his place, but she changed her mind and he didn't push. She told police they never had sex.
    7. She claimed he was acting weird and reached under the bed for something so she shot him out of fear. Forensic evidence found the body laying comfortable with hands folded neatly together in a "sleeping posture".
    8. She then stole his pants, wallet, guns, and truck and took them back to "Cut-Throat"
    9. When she called someone from the jail she was recorded as saying "Yeah, I executed him".
    Now, I'm open to the argument that she's turned her life around, become a virtuous person and deserves a second chance. I am a huge proponent of seeking redemption whether it's possible to actually receive or not.

But that's not the argument that won the day here. I mean ultimately political pressure won the day. But that political pressure was based on the notion that she was a "child" and a "victim" and never should have been held responsible for her crimes in the first place.

In fact, I can't tell you the number of times people have simply repeated that she was "defending herself" when she shot an unarmed sleeping man in the back of the head and then robbed him.
    I can't tell you the number of people who believe that she shot her pimp and not a random dude she picked up.
    I can't tell you the number of people who have said "it wasn't murder because the guy was a pedophile, even though her own statement said they never had sex.

I find the whole debacle despicable. I'm 100% certain there are people in prison more deserving of this kind of pressure for clemency.

I can only hope that Cyntoia Brown takes this opportunity to do some good in the world, that would be the best outcome, but it concerns me deeply that this has been achieved through emotional manipulation of skewed or partially-presented facts.
    Last edited by Mifune; 01-08-2019, 02:19 PM.
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Here's a good example of the bias:

https://www.thisisinsider.com/cyntoi...dashian-2019-1

Brown shot and killed 43-year-old real-estate agent Johnny Allen after he picked her up on the way to Sonic. Brown says the pair agreed that he would pay her $150 for sex.

Brown claims that throughout their encounter at Allen's home, he repeatedly brought up guns that he allegedly owned, stating that he was formerly in the military and was a "sharpshooter." She called the victim "weird" in court documents, and says she would have run were it not for a gun cabinet in the room.

At one point, she claims Allen grabbed her "really hard" before rolling over to "maybe to reach for something" like a gun.

She grabbed her own gun, which McGlothen had been given to her, and shot Allen, she said.

After shooting Allen, Brown took some of his guns and his wallet,allegedly because she feared returning to McGlothen emptyhanded. She drove Allen's car to a Walmart parking lot.
    Notice that they present only what Cyntoia's story was. They don't present any of the facts that police found that contradicted many of these statements. There is clear spin in the way this is being presented.

Nowhere do they mention what was probably the biggest determining factor in the harsh sentence that she received. The man she shot was asleep when she shot him. Never mentioned here, or in the majority of articles on the topic.
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Comment

Working...
    X