Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Everyday Misandry Thread

Yesterday, I heard this over the radio:

"Want to know why Santa Claus is a man? It's because no woman would wear the same silly uniform year after year."

I'll keep a timeless Santa Claus over a fashion-obsessed twit, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ronwisegamgee

"Want to know why Santa Claus is a man? It's because no woman would wear the same silly uniform year after year."

I'll keep a timeless Santa Claus over a fashion-obsessed twit, thank you very much.
      ho ho ho
      The one thing that doesn\'t abide by majority rule is a person\'s conscience.

Comment

lol... this is not 'misandry' (just plain old 'selfishness' / 'inconsiderateness') but I thought I'd mention this as this is supposed to be a thread on trivial things, and I wonder if others have observed similar, too...

Today, while heading back to my car in a parking garage, yet again, a woman brusquely tried to enter the lift I was exiting from, as soon as the doors opened.
        I did not give way (I wouldn't. Besides, I can't - my current health prevents me from moving too quickly), BUT I did say (exact words) "Madam, PLEASE allow people to exit the lift FIRST", to which her reply was just the usual "GET LOST !".

"No big deal", you say? (it isn't. I know...)

Now here's the (anecdotal) reference:
        Over 20 years ago, while working at Burroughs(Unisys), I noticed that it was only women that did this, seeing that even the male bigwigs had the common courtesy to allow me to get out first. So, I decided to see just how long it would take for a woman to be courteous to me.
        It took over 3 months - and I probably should have discounted that occasion, as Bev (my colleague) might have only done so because I recall having mentioned it to her during a casual tea-room chat...

Do you find ALL people to be so inconsiderate to others, or is there a definite lack of common courtesy specific to a sex?
        Or am I just too "sensitive"?
        "Dad, why is it 'Fatherland', but 'mother-tongue' ?" ... "Son, because Men build civilisation. Women talk."
        Feminism is just another Apartheid: legally-sanctioned discrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by billybob
          lol... this is not 'misandry' (just plain old 'selfishness' / 'inconsiderateness') but I thought I'd mention this as this is supposed to be a thread on trivial things, and I wonder if others have observed similar, too...

Today, while heading back to my car in a parking garage, yet again, a woman brusquely tried to enter the lift I was exiting from, as soon as the doors opened.
          I did not give way (I wouldn't. Besides, I can't - my current health prevents me from moving too quickly), BUT I did say (exact words) "Madam, PLEASE allow people to exit the lift FIRST", to which her reply was just the usual "GET LOST !".

Over 20 years ago, while working at Burroughs(Unisys), I noticed that it was only women that did this, seeing that even the male bigwigs had the common courtesy to allow me to get out first. So, I decided to see just how long it would take for a woman to be courteous to me.
          It took over 3 months - and I probably should have discounted that occasion, as Bev (my colleague) might have only done so because I recall having mentioned it to her during a casual tea-room chat...

Do you find ALL people to be so inconsiderate to others, or is there a definite lack of common courtesy specific to a sex?
          I don't regularly use elevators, so my memory is a mite fuzzy on this issue. Now that you've brought it up, however, I'll be more vigilant towards this phenomena.

Comment

RE: Trivial Everyday Misandry Thread

Just so you all know, I renamed this thread to "Trivial Everyday Misandry Thread" to avoid confusion with the new sub-forum.

Comment

A woman at my office has a picture on her desk of herself and two women friends posing with a shopping mall Santa Claus. She claims that the guy was "creepy" (I can't stand that word) because of the way he said, "Hello, ladies" as they approached, sort of a drawn out, "Hullooo, laaaaaydies". Of course, three adult women participating in an activity meant for children is not creepy at all.

Then, she said that one of her friends made the comment, "We probably just gave him the biggest thrill of his day." Because, of course, the closeness of women is the greatest thing in the universe, right?
              In the movie, The Great Race (1965), the Great Leslie says to a feminist, "You're not talking about equal rights. You are talking about some convenient, feminist utopia that has all of the advantages and none of the responsibilities!"

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade

Then, she said that one of her friends made the comment, "We probably just gave him the biggest thrill of his day." Because, of course, the closeness of women is the greatest thing in the universe, right?
                Its comments like that, that make me so grateful to be single. If its the last thing I need, is some chick thinking "she is the best thing that ever happened to me". No, Online gaming, Wingstop, and Taco's are the best thing that has ever happened to me.
                Behind every failure is a excuse.

Comment

Many years ago, I was in an accident, hit by a car resulting in a broken hand and a badly damaged leg. I could only walk with a crutch... really it should have been two crutches but with the broken hand I could only use one. Of course, my wife still expected me to run errands all over town (on public transit no less).
                  It was slow going, but I could manage for the most part, but doors gave me a lot of trouble. In order to get through a door, I had to ballance on my good leg while resting the crutch on my broken arm, pull the door past me and quickly grab the crutch with my good hand and jam the end of it in front of the door to stop it from closing. Then I could get the crutch back under my arm and hobble through.
                  My first day out I became discouraged with how many people did not bother to lend a helping hand, when I so clearly needed it, but I began to notice the pattern.

First, it was a woman with a small boy. As I approached a set of double doors leading into a mall, they were coming behind me, and I though to myself 'thank god, we're going to get to the door about the same time, surely she'll help me".
                  She saw me look over to them, looked to the doors, and suddenly started leaping towards the doors, quite obviously intent on getting there ahead of me so she wouldn't be "stuck holding the door". It was only after she got through the second set of doors that she looked around, then looked back in a panic realizing she had just left her child behind. By this time, the young man, who couldn't have been more than 10 years old, was proudly holding the door open for me, acting like a little doorman.
                  As I passed I said to him "thank you, that was very thoughtful of you!", then I looked to her and said "I wonder where he learned that?"

Shortly after, as I approached a government building, I noticed that everyone coming and going were wrapped up in their own business, and I had no expectation of assistance. However, as I got to the door, a man inside, who was clear on the other side of the large lobby spotted me and literally ran across the room to get the door for me.
                  Of course I was very thankful, but something was beginning to click.

On my way home, I had to stop at the shop where my wife worked to pick up some things for her that she didn't want to have to carry home with her (yeah, I know I'm bitter, leave it alone:dodgy.
                  As I came to the door, a woman had just finished at the cash and began heading towards the door, but when she saw me coming, she stopped, and quite obviously pretended to take interest in a flyer that was by the door. She stood there, inches away from me, only separated by a glass door, as I struggled to get the door open. Once open, she actually had me hold the door open for her... she had nothing but a small purse, it was absolutely appalling behavior! Not even a 'thank you', although I did call out "you're welcome" as she walked away.

That is when it gelled. It was another 3 weeks before I was able to walk with a cane instead of a crutch, and in that time I paid close attention to who helped me out and who didn't.
                  Not a single woman between the ages of 20 and 50 helped me out in any way, while males in the same age group would go out of their way to hold a door for me.
                  Teenagers were hit and miss, well, that was no surprise... teenage minds work so quickly they can be the most altruistic person on the planet and 15 minutes later be so self absorbed they hardly register that there are others around them at all.
                  And seniors of both genders were always helpful when they were able.

It seemed to me that women in their child rearing years are just flat out self centered, even more focused on themselves than their own children at times.
                  Ever since then I have wanted to get a friend with a video camera, a fake cast and a crutch and film this observation... I am absolutely convinced I could re create those results over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade

A woman at my office has a picture on her desk of herself and two women friends posing with a shopping mall Santa Claus. She claims that the guy was "creepy" (I can't stand that word) because of the way he said, "Hello, ladies" as they approached, sort of a drawn out, "Hullooo, laaaaaydies". Of course, three adult women participating in an activity meant for children is not creepy at all.

creep
                    The one thing that doesn\'t abide by majority rule is a person\'s conscience.

Comment

• RE: Everyday Misandry Thread

Originally posted by BaldwinBravo

Many years ago, I was in an accident, hit by a car resulting in a broken hand and a badly damaged leg. I could only walk with a crutch... really it should have been two crutches but with the broken hand I could only use one. Of course, my wife still expected me to run errands all over town (on public transit no less).
                      It was slow going, but I could manage for the most part, but doors gave me a lot of trouble. In order to get through a door, I had to ballance on my good leg while resting the crutch on my broken arm, pull the door past me and quickly grab the crutch with my good hand and jam the end of it in front of the door to stop it from closing. Then I could get the crutch back under my arm and hobble through.
                      My first day out I became discouraged with how many people did not bother to lend a helping hand, when I so clearly needed it, but I began to notice the pattern.

First, it was a woman with a small boy. As I approached a set of double doors leading into a mall, they were coming behind me, and I though to myself 'thank god, we're going to get to the door about the same time, surely she'll help me".
                      She saw me look over to them, looked to the doors, and suddenly started leaping towards the doors, quite obviously intent on getting there ahead of me so she wouldn't be "stuck holding the door". It was only after she got through the second set of doors that she looked around, then looked back in a panic realizing she had just left her child behind. By this time, the young man, who couldn't have been more than 10 years old, was proudly holding the door open for me, acting like a little doorman.
                      As I passed I said to him "thank you, that was very thoughtful of you!", then I looked to her and said "I wonder where he learned that?"

Shortly after, as I approached a government building, I noticed that everyone coming and going were wrapped up in their own business, and I had no expectation of assistance. However, as I got to the door, a man inside, who was clear on the other side of the large lobby spotted me and literally ran across the room to get the door for me.
                      Of course I was very thankful, but something was beginning to click.

On my way home, I had to stop at the shop where my wife worked to pick up some things for her that she didn't want to have to carry home with her (yeah, I know I'm bitter, leave it alone:dodgy.
                      As I came to the door, a woman had just finished at the cash and began heading towards the door, but when she saw me coming, she stopped, and quite obviously pretended to take interest in a flyer that was by the door. She stood there, inches away from me, only separated by a glass door, as I struggled to get the door open. Once open, she actually had me hold the door open for her... she had nothing but a small purse, it was absolutely appalling behavior! Not even a 'thank you', although I did call out "you're welcome" as she walked away.

That is when it gelled. It was another 3 weeks before I was able to walk with a cane instead of a crutch, and in that time I paid close attention to who helped me out and who didn't.
                      Not a single woman between the ages of 20 and 50 helped me out in any way, while males in the same age group would go out of their way to hold a door for me.
                      Teenagers were hit and miss, well, that was no surprise... teenage minds work so quickly they can be the most altruistic person on the planet and 15 minutes later be so self absorbed they hardly register that there are others around them at all.
                      And seniors of both genders were always helpful when they were able.

It seemed to me that women in their child rearing years are just flat out self centered, even more focused on themselves than their own children at times.
                      Ever since then I have wanted to get a friend with a video camera, a fake cast and a crutch and film this observation... I am absolutely convinced I could re create those results over and over.
                      That's... actually something I would really like to see more studies done on. Unfortunately, it's impossible to factor out all extraneous variables, but it would be interesting to get some numbers over an extended period of time. I don't know exactly what it would say about people in general, but it would definitely be interesting.

Comment

• RE: Everyday Misandry Thread

Originally posted by Greyfeld

That's... actually something I would really like to see more studies done on. Unfortunately, it's impossible to factor out all extraneous variables, but it would be interesting to get some numbers over an extended period of time. I don't know exactly what it would say about people in general, but it would definitely be interesting.
                        I'm glad I wrote that out, it's really helped me put it in perspective. I'd like to note that I do not believe that this is the natural state of women, rather it is due to socialization. I believe that the results could be duplicated in larger urban areas and suburbs, however I'd be willing to bet the results would be very different in small rural towns away from the city.

Comment

Working...
                        X