Tinfoil Hat Time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinfoil Hat Time?

i was reading this article about male birth control and i saw something i really didnt like...

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/27/male-contraception-may-be-a-reality-sooner-than-we-think/

""The original female birth control pill was developed as a fertility treatment, but when it failed, researchers realized they had a potentially effective contraceptive on their hands. Similarly, most of the male contraceptives that have been developed began as treatments for unrelated illnesses. For example, one drug called gamendazole was first developed as an anticancer drug, but interrupts the maturation cycle of the sperm, rendering it nonfunctional. Two other
    The only thing that resembles "The Patriarchy" these days is Feminism itself.

RE: Tinfoil Hat Time?

Originally posted by Rog
    am i reading this right?? it looks like they want to hold back development of male birth control until they have a product that uses female hormones to suppress testosterone enough that they have to add it back in(at a rate they control)?
    is this a feminists wet dream? and a way to de-masculinize men that they would willingly take?
    anybody got thots on this?
    Men and women both produce progesterone and testosterone: the difference is in how much each gender normally makes. Testosterone in women is involved in controlling their libido, and while men are known to make and have receptors for progesterone what the heck it actually does in our bodies is a tad understudied.

The method of male birth control they're talking about here does seem to me to have a significant risk of feminising male patients, and of disrupting complex metabolic pathways in ways that are difficult to tease out prior to a drugs approval and tend to come out in post-marketing surveillance. That's definitely a bad thing. That said, male birth control has significant technical hurdles, and the way they're approaching it is not unreasonable. Women only release one gamete a month, and basically all you have to do is convince that one egg to stay home. Healthy, sexually active men produce millions of sperm a day, and with the way men are built they are not going to stay in the testicles no matter what drug you point at them: you have to figure out how to get them to stop being produced. Finding a hormone that the testicles interpret as "stop making things" and then providing a replacement for the stuff you want (e.g. male sex hormones) is arguably an obvious first approach: I don't see any sort of conspiracy going on here.

There are some obvious, huge potential side effects with this approach. Until I see a large, well designed, randomized-control study saying otherwise I would really, really worry that this treatment might literally irreversibly shrink a patient's nuts: testicles tend to atrophy when they get a chemical signal that says to stop doing testicle-type things.

Despite that I see news that somebody is working on a male birth control pill as very good, even if the approach taken leaves something to be desired. For years the argument bandied about the the big pharma bigwigs for not making a male pill has been "women wouldn't trust men to take it." (Seriously? Who cares? Why should men have to trust women to take the pill?) The fact that somebody has finally gotten far enough past that bullsh*t to actually do some real research is awesome, even if there's huge potential problems with their approach: if one drug comes to market, others will follow. (Hopefully nobody's testicles will get shrunk along the way.) It's too bad they don't say what phase this research is in.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jason
      Originally posted by Rog
      am i reading this right?? it looks like they want to hold back development of male birth control until they have a product that uses female hormones to suppress testosterone enough that they have to add it back in(at a rate they control)?
      is this a feminists wet dream? and a way to de-masculinize men that they would willingly take?
      anybody got thots on this?
      Men and women both produce progesterone and testosterone: the difference is in how much each gender normally makes. Testosterone in women is involved in controlling their libido, and while men are known to make and have receptors for progesterone what the heck it actually does in our bodies is a tad understudied.

The method of male birth control they're talking about here does seem to me to have a significant risk of feminising male patients, and of disrupting complex metabolic pathways in ways that are difficult to tease out prior to a drugs approval and tend to come out in post-marketing surveillance. That's definitely a bad thing. That said, male birth control has significant technical hurdles, and the way they're approaching it is not unreasonable. Women only release one gamete a month, and basically all you have to do is convince that one egg to stay home. Healthy, sexually active men produce millions of sperm a day, and with the way men are built they are not going to stay in the testicles no matter what drug you point at them: you have to figure out how to get them to stop being produced. Finding a hormone that the testicles interpret as "stop making things" and then providing a replacement for the stuff you want (e.g. male sex hormones) is arguably an obvious first approach: I don't see any sort of conspiracy going on here.

There are some obvious, huge potential side effects with this approach. Until I see a large, well designed, randomized-control study saying otherwise I would really, really worry that this treatment might literally irreversibly shrink a patient's nuts: testicles tend to atrophy when they get a chemical signal that says to stop doing testicle-type things.

Despite that I see news that somebody is working on a male birth control pill as very good, even if the approach taken leaves something to be desired. For years the argument bandied about the the big pharma bigwigs for not making a male pill has been "women wouldn't trust men to take it." (Seriously? Who cares? Why should men have to trust women to take the pill?) The fact that somebody has finally gotten far enough past that bullsh*t to actually do some real research is awesome, even if there's huge potential problems with their approach: if one drug comes to market, others will follow. (Hopefully nobody's testicles will get shrunk along the way.) It's too bad they don't say what phase this research is in.

Jason
      so the fact that they are using enough female hormone to limit testosterone enough that

"Testosterone is added in the pill to avoid diminished libido and muscle loss, which can result when the hormone
      The only thing that resembles "The Patriarchy" these days is Feminism itself.

Comment

A more elegant solution is just not to bother with women. Net-net, the whole thing is more trouble than it is worth.

Comment

[quote=Rog]
          so the fact that they are using enough female hormone to limit testosterone enough that

"Testosterone is added in the pill to avoid diminished libido and muscle loss, which can result when the hormone

Comment

Working...
          X