The Everyday Unbeliever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beour3rd View Post
    the race will go to the stars once the 1% find a personal gain in it. ive no doubt we will go off and...

...ruin other planets
    Won't help much against proton decay ...

M

Comment

Originally posted by Autolite View Post
      (reference the OP) I find that with Atheism, I can deal with loss and life's disappointments easier by just accepting them as 'shit happens'! I know that there's no magical boogie-man in the sky who is targeting me for any unknown sins or transgressions. I don't wrack my brain trying to figure out why the bad stuff happens. It makes life understandable. I know that sounds pretty 'infantile' but it's what works for me...
      I didn't actually intend to make the thread about anything ending with -eism, except perhaps brieism, for all you lovers of French cheese out there. Preferably a little feminism deconstruction, from time to time, to keep it relevant. But mainly general subjects, on a rationalist basis.

How about this for news?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...moured-science

M

Comment

Good luck with that my friend. I'm really hoping that it works that way for your sake but I'm guessin' some Jews might not be too happy with that explanation.

Anyway, I guess I should really be thankful that god gave us people like you to help us sort out a bible that is otherwise about as straight forward as one of those blank jig-saw puzzles with half the pieces missing and the instructions written backward in Chinese.

Do Catholics have some sort of secret squirrel biblical decoder ring that the rest of us know nothing about???
        Is there any reason to discuss the Faith with you? If you aren't even willing to try to understand, I see no point.
        Ephesians 5 "Husbands, Love your wives like Christ loved the Church". (Wives, give your husbands something to love).
        "Wives, RESPECT your husbands". (Husbands, give your wives something to respect.)

For a man does not truly feel loved unless his wife, mother, and children display respect to him.

"From each MAN according to his abilty, to each WOMAN according to her need"... Allison Tienemann

"Feminism is a HATE group... Feminists are HATEFUL people"... Mr. e

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."... Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by theplummer View Post
          Is there any reason to discuss the Faith with you? If you aren't even willing to try to understand, I see no point.
          Well it's like I said before, the more posts you make reference your beliefs the more RATIONAL folks we'll get turning toward Atheism. That certainly works for me! But M said in post #17 that this sort of discussion wasn't what he had in mind when he started this thread so perhaps we should try and respect that.

We both already know there's absolutely zero possibility that either of us are going to change our minds WRT religious belief anyway...
          "The truth is sometimes a poor competitor in the market of ideas" George F. Kennan

Comment

Well it's like I said before, the more posts you make reference your beliefs the more RATIONAL folks we'll get turning toward Atheism. That certainly works for me! But M said in post #17 that this sort of discussion wasn't what he had in mind when he started this thread so perhaps we should try and respect that.

We both already know there's absolutely zero possibility that either of us are going to change our minds WRT religious belief anyway...
            You are quite the comedian.
            Ephesians 5 "Husbands, Love your wives like Christ loved the Church". (Wives, give your husbands something to love).
            "Wives, RESPECT your husbands". (Husbands, give your wives something to respect.)

For a man does not truly feel loved unless his wife, mother, and children display respect to him.

"From each MAN according to his abilty, to each WOMAN according to her need"... Allison Tienemann

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."... Ronald Reagan

Comment

Notice how rapidly this thread was invaded by religious types pushing their views.

I've respected the believer thread and not posted in it, in accordance with the OPs wishes and GOMs warning that anyone derailing the thread would be perma-banned, (which incidentally also came with the statement that the same would apply to a non believers thread).

And yet here we are, with the usual suspects failing to extend the courtesy in reverse.

So how about it GOM?

Comment

Originally posted by cpb View Post
                Notice how rapidly this thread was invaded by religious types pushing their views.

I've respected the believer thread and not posted in it, in accordance with the OPs wishes and GOMs warning that anyone derailing the thread would be perma-banned, (which incidentally also came with the statement that the same would apply to a non believers thread).

And yet here we are, with the usual suspects failing to extend the courtesy in reverse.

So how about it GOM?
                Good point

If your pushing your religion stop posting on this Thread.
                ethikē aretē--phronesis--eudaimonia
                virtue of character--practical/ethical wisdom--human flourishing

It is not a battle to win but an attitude to share.
                AVFM Mission Statement
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
                  Good point

If your pushing your religion stop posting on this Thread.
                  I'm guessing this is referring to me. I'll refrain from further conversation, though in my defense I was asked a direct question.

Comment

I'm guessing this is referring to me. I'll refrain from further conversation, though in my defense I was asked a direct question.
                    Roger. In all fairness I told the Atheists not to post on the true believer thread and we should let the non faith folks run their own thread.
                    ethikē aretē--phronesis--eudaimonia
                    virtue of character--practical/ethical wisdom--human flourishing

It is not a battle to win but an attitude to share.
                    AVFM Mission Statement
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
                      Roger. In all fairness I told the Atheists not to post on the true believer thread and we should let the non faith folks run their own thread.
                      I concur. And apologize.

Comment

Hi,

while that is very gracious of you, allow me to emphasize the wording of GOM's message, which I agree fully with;
                        and which in any interpretation leads to the conclusion that no poster is unwelcome in this thread.
                        I just thought that a thread like this would also be possible here in the Forum, and could lead to some interesting posts.

Regards,
                        M

Comment

I concur. And apologize.
                          No need to.

M

Comment

Nearness Ethics

Hi,

stealing this one from Deirdre, knowing s/he will forgive me.

Luke 6, 32-36 (New Revised Standard Version)
                            "[Jesus said] ‘If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much back again. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

Compare this with the contrast between Kohlberg's six stages of morality
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawren...al_development

and Carol Gilligan's "ethics of care"
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_care

CG is the founder of "difference feminism" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_feminism ),
                            which should be particularly relevant for the anti-Chivalry brigade

M

Comment

Originally posted by Manalysis View Post
                              Hi,

stealing this one from Deirdre, knowing s/he will forgive me.

Luke 6, 32-36 (New Revised Standard Version)
                              "[Jesus said] ‘If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much back again. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

Compare this with the contrast between Kohlberg's six stages of morality
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawren...al_development

and Carol Gilligan's "ethics of care"
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_of_care

CG is the founder of "difference feminism" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_feminism ),
                              which should be particularly relevant for the anti-Chivalry brigade

M
                              LOL I'm a she, and no worries, no rhetorical apologies needed. ^_^
                              Philosophy is a fascinating thing, and your thread here is quite interesting.

There is room for atheists and theists to share the same philosophy table. Some think religion is just another 'branch' of philosophy, so there's always new ways to view old topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Deidre View Post
                                LOL I'm a she
                                OK. But ah, do we live in an age of uncertainty wrt. correct gender pronouns ...

and no worries, no rhetorical apologies needed.
                                That was a joke referencing the subject of the post

Philosophy is a fascinating thing
                                Yup.

There is room for atheists and theists to share the same philosophy table.
                                Yes. But like any other craft, it has its materials, like propositions and arguments, and its tools, logic and argument.
                                Without that, things we say can be many things, but it won't be philosophy.

Some think religion is just another 'branch' of philosophy
                                Never heard that before. Wrt. theology, perhaps, but not religion itself.

so there's always new ways to view old topics.
                                Perhaps you just did.

M

Comment

Working...
                                X