Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
    Well.... your lost...
    Oh, I don't know. I can do well without kuru.

I am not really an expert on the topic but I think you can grown spices in the same weathers you can grown coffee...
    Yes, tropical latitudes, I think, although AFAIK coffee also grows in dryer and colder highlands, while spice plants are often found in more humid climates (like SE Asia).

I also imagine a lot of your coffee is actually coming from my land...
    I imagine you are right. (But aren't all the plantations owned by some Germans...?)

I figure the only reason why people in your country does not have the spicy food, is perhaps because your culture doesn't like strong flavours?
    Well,that's where the rotting and moulding comes in
    Mold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamalost
    Pics: http://www.appetitt.no/matnytt/norsk-umami (sry, text not in English)

Rakfisk is fermented trout ... a very time-consuming ceviche, if you will: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk
    Until not very long time ago, interior roads were few, far between and then not very good; so transport season was in winter, when the snow turned the entire landscape into one giant highway, easily crossed with horse and sled.
    So, in summer, people went to one of the, I kid you not, 450 000 lakes we have, to fish e.g. trout. They filled a barrel with trout, salted it, and buried the barrel.
    Then, in winter, they went up with a sled, dug up the barrel and drove the thing back home, just in time for Yule.
    The meat dissolves in a process called autolysis, where enzymes in the cells break down proteins in the cell walls to provide fuelf or the cell to survive, and so the fish becomes extremely tender; you can spread it like butter on a slice of toast. And it doesn't need pepper to have sparks fly in your mouth.

OK... so drinking is the national sport?
    No, much more important than that. In old times, drinking Yule was a religious duty, enshrined in written law.
    Neglect it, and you were fined 3 marks of silver (the value of two cows, or so).
    Neglect it three years in a row, and they would take away your farm.
    We don't drink for pleasure or taste or any such cultural shit, we drink to get drunk, excessively drunk, to let our souls commune with the Gods.
    Mondays we go back to work to relax.

then take my advise, make it crispy and that will change everything about it... just try it...
    You can't have met my mother ... I'll see if I can try.
    The curing process makes the meat a bit stringy and tough, and I fear oven frying it will make it unchewable. Deep fry?

As far as I know, Cuy is something we pick up from the indians... specially the indians that live way up on the Andes mountains...
    Well, the lake Titicaca people are sailors, aren't they ...?
    Here it's called a "marsvin", apparently via Dutch from German "meerschwein", i.e. "maritime pig" or "sea pig", again referring to sailor's cooking.

Wrt. rodents, most people will balk because they think this is what fried rat would look like.
    The only rodent I've eaten - knowingly - is beaver, which is delicious.

You would have a small fenced corner inside your kitchen and there the pack of cuys, so when you peal anything... a banana, a potato, an onion.. anything, it goes to the cuys,
    Ah, like pigs and swill (slop?).

they will take care of making more cuys, so when you have a lot of them... which usually is something like 3 or 4 weeks... then to the BBQ with them. So we also call them the poors guy bank... and so on... needless to say, people that want to pretend to be europeans and educated will avoid this food at all costs... as a matter of fact, they will avoid anything that is culturally different to what people imagine Europe is.

Imagining cultures can be dangerous.
    Have you heard of "Paris disease"?
    Apparently, Paris is some kind of ideal of beaty and high culture for many Japanese, but often enough they have a mental breakdown upon encountering reality.
    Enough so that they have clinics specializing in it, IIRC.

Though those europeans that come visiting, do love all that weird stuff...
    Yes, food is "the last frontier" ...

Now time to introduce "La Loteria del Cuy"!!!
    We do Viking Lotto, or "Who gets the stone?" when spring thaw breaks loose huge boulders up the mountainside.
    If I'm lucky, I will have managed to upload some example pics below.

did you just mention you have "normal" food and used french cuisine as an example???
    One meaning of "normal" is "frequently ocurring" .... Food that people think is normal. If you look closely, you see that I, too, put 'normal' in quotes.
    What I mean is that few people make the fuss about french cheeses as they make about a simple sheeps head.

you know the stuff french eat?
    Yes, I lived there for some months. They have very good food, and they stop at nothing, that's ok by me.

Anyway, I don't have problem with the dry meats, with the smoked meats, with the cured meats... what threw me off is the molding and the rotten ones... how can you eat that?
    The usual way. Transport it into your mouth, chew, swallow.
    You're only allowed to knock it once you've tried it

Oh I don't know... I remember in my country of origin everybody have to work hard and a lot... so people usually don't have time or energy to be whining about silly stuff... Hard to have a culture of university snowflakes in a place where more than half the population have not even finish primary education...
    We used to be like that, but then we found oil, so now we have them, too; but typically, our feminists don't really understand proper feminism, they do too many things by the dictionary definition, like demanding military service for women and men's right to have parental leave, stuff like that. It just won't do.

M
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Manalysis; 10-09-2017, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Manalysis View Post
      I imagine you are right. (But aren't all the plantations owned by some Germans...?)
      I have not idea.

Well,that's where the rotting and moulding comes in
      Mold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamalost
      Pics: http://www.appetitt.no/matnytt/norsk-umami (sry, text not in English)

Rakfisk is fermented trout ... a very time-consuming ceviche, if you will: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk
      Until not very long time ago, interior roads were few, far between and then not very good; so transport season was in winter, when the snow turned the entire landscape into one giant highway, easily crossed with horse and sled.
      So, in summer, people went to one of the, I kid you not, 450 000 lakes we have, to fish e.g. trout. They filled a barrel with trout, salted it, and buried the barrel.
      Then, in winter, they went up with a sled, dug up the barrel and drove the thing back home, just in time for Yule.
      The meat dissolves in a process called autolysis, where enzymes in the cells break down proteins in the cell walls to provide fuelf or the cell to survive, and so the fish becomes extremely tender; you can spread it like butter on a slice of toast. And it doesn't need pepper to have sparks fly in your mouth.
      Now, that is surrealism culinary...

No, much more important than that. In old times, drinking Yule was a religious duty, enshrined in written law.
      Neglect it, and you were fined 3 marks of silver (the value of two cows, or so).
      Neglect it three years in a row, and they would take away your farm.
      We don't drink for pleasure or taste or any such cultural shit, we drink to get drunk, excessively drunk, to let our souls commune with the Gods.
      Mondays we go back to work to relax.
      Sounds like the owner of the licour factory have a friend in the government.

You can't have met my mother ... I'll see if I can try.
      The curing process makes the meat a bit stringy and tough, and I fear oven frying it will make it unchewable. Deep fry?
      that can be a good idea to try...

We have something call "chunchurria rellena" witch is a trip that goes from the intestine of the cow to the heart, o it can pumn the nutrients on the blood... anyway... we like to deep fry the thing, we end up with very crunchy outside and still creamy inside, from the food residues that it was carrying... very good stuff... I think your sheep head can end up with a similar texture, fur what you have told me...

Well, the lake Titicaca people are sailors, aren't they ...?
      No idea... I think the legend is that their cities where costal, but the land have being folding over itself raising the cities thousands of meters over the sea level...

Here it's called a "marsvin", apparently via Dutch from German "meerschwein", i.e. "maritime pig" or "sea pig", again referring to sailor's cooking.
      Well in south america Cuy is nowhere to be found in coastal cuisine... at the north there is the caribbean ocean, and that is the best of the 2 oceans, you get everything you expect to find in there... seafood, fish, coconut rice... stuff like that... no much weird stuff there... except if you think octopus is weird... ah they also sundry fish, but for you that must be like, home... they also eat some wild animals, like iguanas, turtles. snakes...

In the pacific ocean, that is the worse of the 2 oceans, food is not really that great... for some reason they have a lot of problems keeping fresh ingredients in that area, so everything have a kind of rance taste to it... like a good french cheese...

Wrt. rodents, most people will balk because they think this is what fried rat would look like.
      The only rodent I've eaten - knowingly - is beaver, which is delicious.
      There is a guy in Colombia that actually started a fast food restaurant to serve Cuy... so imagine a cheap knock off of a mcdonald's and the posters on the walls offering a cuy 1/2 and 1/4 value menu... LOL

This is a very important step on the plate, because in the area people eat what is known as "corrientazo"... this is lunch meal that is prepare in home kitchens... the important things to know about this meal is that people expect a full 3 courses meal, that is soup a dry plate that usually is a cup of rice some salad, some starch and a bit of a protein... and the last course is natural juice... and people expect to pay around a dollar for the whole 3 course meal... I have not idea how this restaurant's made any money.

A
      h, like pigs and swill (slop?).
      I don't think anyone will have actual pigs in their kitchens... but we do fill them out with rice, green beans, garbanzos, carrots and the soo, then put the whole pig in the oven until the skin gets golden and... you know it... crunchy!

We call it Lechona, which basically looks like a big cuy:

https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph..._3dqWtGg/o.jpg

Imagining cultures can be dangerous.
      Have you heard of "Paris disease"?
      Apparently, Paris is some kind of ideal of beaty and high culture for many Japanese, but often enough they have a mental breakdown upon encountering reality.
      Enough so that they have clinics specializing in it, IIRC.
      LOL... in what sane mind can fit the idea that Paris is beautiful and stuff??? have they never seeing what that people eat? and their sewer system is like 500 years old...

We do Viking Lotto, or "Who gets the stone?" when spring thaw breaks loose huge boulders up the mountainside.
      If I'm lucky, I will have managed to upload some example pics below.
      I saw the pictures and that actually leave me with more questions than answers... but here the 2 questions that trouble me the most...

1- If this happens every summer, how come you still have any mountain there?

2- Is there any insurance people can buy for a rock sliding over your house?

One meaning of "normal" is "frequently ocurring" .... Food that people think is normal. If you look closely, you see that I, too, put 'normal' in quotes.
      What I mean is that few people make the fuss about french cheeses as they make about a simple sheeps head.
      They get maggots infesting the cheese, and instead of throwing it away they just change the name of it, and still eat it... I'm telling you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimolette

Yes, I lived there for some months. They have very good food, and they stop at nothing, that's ok by me.
      Well... I am not trying to offend here... I just want to point out that you come from a place of rotten meat... so anything they do in France must be fantastic... by comparison...

The usual way. Transport it into your mouth, chew, swallow.
      You're only allowed to knock it once you've tried it
      I think if i eat rotten meat I can get sick... is that a medical fact or a cultural thing???

By the way, my family now is in horror that I eat the meat "raw"... they have never seeing a medium rare steak in their lives (to be fair, in my country of origin 12 ounces of meat feeds a family of 20 for at least a week, so they cut it in really think slides, no way you get any pink line inside that), and I posted a picture of the thing because I love it so much...

We used to be like that, but then we found oil, so now we have them, too; but typically, our feminists don't really understand proper feminism, they do too many things by the dictionary definition, like demanding military service for women and men's right to have parental leave, stuff like that. It just won't do.

M
      Well... that is what happens when importing philosophies from other cultures, stuff never translate the way it should... I wonder what will happen the they they find out, LOL.

About the Oil, we do have that too, but for some reason the countries don't get to see any of that money... ah, and the native indians claim that the oil is the blood of the planet and we are killing her by extracting the thing... I honestly think they never saw oil before and now they made up that stuff just to disprove everything we do...

Comment

From what I've seen of Italians, both IRL and depictions, they are FIERCELY proud of their roots. And they do not like to be reminded of the various incursions into the Italian bloodline over the years since the Roman Empire.

Now, as an Indian I am part Greek/Turk, that's how it is. They were some damn good looking people back then, and I'm thankful for their contribution. By the way - there's a reason modern Italians tend towards the very good looking side, but it's not particularly pleasant reading...

Pride in, and celebration of one's culture/ethnicity is fine, so long as it doesn't blind you to the virtues of other cultures and ethnicities.
        >>"and in other news, the Judge in the case of AVFM Vs Feminazism ruled today that the creators of 'Gender Equality' are guilty of Intent to Obtain Social Change by Deception. The Feminazi case collapsed just one day into the trial, after a 1st year medical student demonstrated that men are not, in fact, equal to women".<<

Newbie AVFM Member, 2 days in: "My eyes, why do my eyes hurt?"

Jaybee, cautious tone: "You've never used them before".

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybee View Post
          From what I've seen of Italians, both IRL and depictions, they are FIERCELY proud of their roots. And they do not like to be reminded of the various incursions into the Italian bloodline over the years since the Roman Empire.

Now, as an Indian I am part Greek/Turk, that's how it is. They were some damn good looking people back then, and I'm thankful for their contribution. By the way - there's a reason modern Italians tend towards the very good looking side, but it's not particularly pleasant reading...

Pride in, and celebration of one's culture/ethnicity is fine, so long as it doesn't blind you to the virtues of other cultures and ethnicities.
          So agree! Good points. It's funny, but people who don't know me and meet me for the first time have said I look middle eastern, specifically Iranian or they say Italian but there's "something different" that they couldn't place.

My father is very good looking so is my mom but she's Irish, an entirely diff look. I'm told I look like my dad. Who do you look like the most, would you say?

Comment

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
            Sounds like the owner of the licour factory have a friend in the government.
            Even simpler: the government owns all the liquor factories and stores.

that can be a good idea to try...
            Trial and error, that's how humanity progresses.

We have something call "chunchurria rellena" witch is a trip that goes from the intestine of the cow to the heart
            I think I had that in Japan ... but from horse ... and raw.

they also sundry fish, but for you that must be like, home...
            Except for the sun, yes.
            However, we usually eat fresh fish, and export most of the dried fish.

There is a guy in Colombia that actually started a fast food restaurant to serve Cuy... so imagine a cheap knock off of a mcdonald's and the posters on the walls offering a cuy 1/2 and 1/4 value menu... LOL
            "Cuybab" ... Why not ?
            And for a toy, the kids get the cuy skeleton.

and people expect to pay around a dollar for the whole 3 course meal... I have not idea how this restaurant's made any money.
            They didn't use _real_ rat ...

I don't think anyone will have actual pigs in their kitchens...
            No, but if anyone had pig here, they would feed it the kitchen scraps. Waste not, want not.

but we do fill them out with rice, green beans, garbanzos, carrots and the soo, then put the whole pig in the oven until the skin gets golden
            Our eastern flatland farmers do the same. Quite good.

LOL... in what sane mind can fit the idea that Paris is beautiful and stuff???
            The Japanese are quite eager for high status anything. Paris has a high status wrt. fashion, perfumes, cuisine, wine ...

have they never seeing what that people eat?
            You should see what the Japanese eat.

and their sewer system is like 500 years old...
            But that never gets into the glossy magazines, does it?
            And btw, I think their sewers were built by the Romans.

If this happens every summer, how come you still have any mountain there?
            Because even though a rock is big, the mountains are even bigger. Big as mountains, in fact. Literally
            Of course in due time the mountains will be gone, but only govt. bureaucrats actually experience Geological Time.

Is there any insurance people can buy for a rock sliding over your house?
            No need to buy. We have a National Natural Disaster Reimbursement Fund for lavines, floods, storms ...
            Building authorities reccommend not putting up houses at places called "Lavine Hill" or "Rock Slide Valley" etc., but will still allow it if you insist.
            After all, all of life is a gamble, right?

There is this mountain, called "Mannen" ("The Man"), where they wait for a 180 000 cubic metre rock slide, and have for many years.
            This summer, the rock mass moved about a foot, and the 11 people living under it were evacuated for the weekend, while everyone else watched nothing happening live on tv.
            Nothing did indeed happen, so the 11 are now moving back home for the winter.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannen

If you scroll down, the is a video where you yourself can watch the riveting excitement of Viking Lotto ... (And yes, lots of people watch this.)
            https://www.nrk.no/mr/farenivaet-red...nen-1.13724225

They get maggots infesting the cheese, and instead of throwing it away they just change the name of it, and still eat it...
            Nope. The cheese mite is an arthropod. The maggot cheese is Italian, as far as Sardinians are Italian.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

I am not trying to offend here... I just want to point out that you come from a place of rotten meat...
            Now I'm disappointed ... no, we don't eat rotten meat. It's just not fresh off the bone.
            For slightly spoiled meat you have to visit the Originals, our cousins in the Faeroes and on Iceland.

To go even more of topic: Iceland is the only true Viking country, and it has never had an army, and has never been at war

anything they do in France must be fantastic... by comparison...
            Well, I like food, and I think almost all food is fantastic.
            There are people who think food originates in supermarkets. The French are not among them, and I like that.

I think if i eat rotten meat I can get sick... is that a medical fact or a cultural thing???
            No harmful bacteria can survive our preparation methods .
            The thing most likely to make you sick is modern battery chicken.
            In Germany, frozen chicken carries the warning "Must not be brought into contact with food" ...

By the way, my family now is in horror that I eat the meat "raw"...
            Best there is. If you get a consultant job over here, I'll treat you to raw whale, horse, moose ...

About the Oil, we do have that too, but for some reason the countries don't get to see any of that money...
            Same thing. The dreaded socialists in government actually put all our oil profits in the bank on behalf of the people, instead of selling it to Philips and BP.
            That's what happens when you let people follow the manual, instead of just using it as a propaganda front:
            https://www.economist.com/news/finan...-world-norways

ah, and the native indians claim that the oil is the blood of the planet and we are killing her by extracting the thing...
            I honestly think they never saw oil before and now they made up that stuff just to disprove everything we do...
            Yes. We have our own "indians", the Saami people, and after the 1970ies, there's no end to their talk of "Mother Nature"

M

Comment

Working...
            X