Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some suggestions

Hey folks,

I want to make a couple of suggestions. I facilitated a chapter of Socrates Cafe for a while, and I
    picked up some things I'd like to share after keeping theists and atheists from killing each other.

I am not giving out royal decrees! 'Tis friendly suggestions from your friendly neighborhood pompous douchebag.

Keep it short

Philosophical posts tend to be long, and boring.
    Try to keep your message short and rich. You do not need to refute everything!

We can learn

Feel free to disagree, but don't enter a discussion to "win."
    It is an intellectually stifling attitude, and it causes needless agitation.
    Some people just won't budge from their beliefs.

Just try to learn, not win. The world is a beautiful, fascinating place, as are
    the people in it. Let's enjoy it!

Use the Socratic Method

Instead of trying to shoot down everyone's points, ask questions.
    If there IS something wrong with someone's arguments, you don't
    need to do much more work since he will paint himself into a corner.

Good use of the Socratic Method will actually keep posts short,
    and moods calm!

RE: A suggestion - Stay Socratic

Mr Slickter Zen.

What a grubby thing you are with your decrees scratched on a pompous scroll you unfurl for our consumption.

You can expect me to walk rings around your MHRA addled squawks here if I see them. Run rings? No, that is for the show-offs of the world. I prefer to move for nobody save those as yourself who invite my desire to enjoy slowly your humiliation.

Take a chilly pill that has the wonderful blue sheen and then maybe you can raise your own bar enough for me to stretch low enough to pat you on your repugnant male head.

You disgust me.

Loy Finly.

Comment

RE: Some suggestions

That's me to a tee. Quoting all those Philosophers is fine, showing how smart and read you are is stupendous, practical application is priceless.
      ethikē aretē--phronesis--eudaimonia
      virtue of character--practical/ethical wisdom--human flourishing

It is not a battle to win but an attitude to share.
      AVFM Mission Statement
      sigpic

Comment

RE: A suggestion - Stay Socratic

Originally posted by Loy Finly
        Mr Slickter Zen.

What a grubby thing you are with your decrees scratched on a pompous scroll you unfurl for our consumption.

You can expect me to walk rings around your MHRA addled squawks here if I see them. Run rings? No, that is for the show-offs of the world. I prefer to move for nobody save those as yourself who invite my desire to enjoy slowly your humiliation.

Take a chilly pill that has the wonderful blue sheen and then maybe you can raise your own bar enough for me to stretch low enough to pat you on your repugnant male head.

You disgust me.

Loy Finly.
        Oink oink

Comment

Working...
        X