• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pbisque
    started a topic BSA going bankrupt.

BSA going bankrupt.

• Klokman
    replied
    I realize there are places in the country where it has been a vibrant org., but in my youth it was failing miserably then--and that was under the umbrella of the church's support. I doubt it would have survived the 60s had it not been "subsidized." I never flourished in it, and I knew a lot of kids who also didn't. Many of the kids were undisciplined and hard to manage, making it hard for the few of us who were genuinely interested. Though I hate to see kids today left high and dry, everything has a cycle of life, and this org needs to be replaced by something less vulnerable to WGTOW, and more in line with what interests the present generation.

Leave a comment:

• Mifune
    replied
    Originally posted by pbisque View Post
    My son is in this dying organization. It's so sad. It is nothing like it used to be. They keep watering it down in an effort to appeal to more people, but it simply isn't working. They are a canary in the coal mine.
    It stinks, but absent the BSA you can still teach him things, still create rites of passage for him.

The nice thing about having an organization is that you can have a distribution of skills. You might be able to teach you boy A,B,C, but when you have a whole organization there's someone knowledgeable on A-Z. You teach other people's kids A and they teach yours B-Z. When it's own your own your limited by what you personally know, or have time to learn.

Leave a comment:

• pbisque
    replied
    My son is in this dying organization. It's so sad. It is nothing like it used to be. They keep watering it down in an effort to appeal to more people, but it simply isn't working. They are a canary in the coal mine.

Leave a comment:

• dubs
    replied

Good.

Let all the single mothers cry when their sons don't have any groups or father-figures available.

Maybe the Crips will take them in and teach them how to become men.

Unintended consequences, the world is full of them.

Leave a comment:

• Mifune
    replied
    I personally believe that young men need rites of passage more than young women.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X