Teen Girls "Fight Back"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen Girls "Fight Back"

A group of girls at a Maryland high school is taking a stand after discovering that some male students created and circulated a list ranking them by their looks.

Eighteen senior girls at Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School have turned the painful moment into a chance to change what they described as an environment of misogyny and sexual harassment at the school, which is just outside Washington, D.C. "We need to be the generation that basically says this is enough and that we're gonna start change,'' senior Yasmin Behbehani told TODAY's Morgan Radford. "And that starts with working together to send a message globally."

Earlier this month, a list that was created a year ago resurfaced via text messages, ranking the 18 girls in the school's International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme by their looks. The list featured their names with a rating from 5.5 to 9.4, with decimal points to the hundredth place.

https://www.today.com/news/teen-girl...g-list-t151125
    Okay, a published list isn't smart, but isn't this kind of ranking something boys and girls both do all the time, both consciously and sub-consciously?

The thing I really wanted to point out was this:

The list featured their names with a rating from 5.5 to 9.4, with decimal points to the hundredth place.
    Look how the bell-curve is shifted to the right.......Every single girl is ranked above-average by these boys. Contrast that to the Plenty of Fish study from a couple of years ago where women rated 80% of the men as below average.

If anything, the boys were probably being pretty generous. If we re-normalize the curve, the 7's are 5's and the 5.5 is like a 1.
    "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
    "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

OK... so they are upset but... what they are doing to "fight back"?

all I got was this:

"A coed group of seniors has since met almost weekly following that initial meeting. They also want to change the school's culture for future classes, so they are meeting with younger students next month to speak about toxic masculinity."

So basically SOME of them are talking among themselves (ALMOST every week) and plan to talk to other people...

Comment

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
      OK... so they are upset but... what they are doing to "fight back"?
      Right, so are they upset because it was written down in a list, or are the upset with the practical reality that everyone is making judgments about and ranking people on all kinds of criteria all the time?

Originally posted by simpleman:n346576
      "A coed group of seniors has since met almost weekly following that initial meeting. They also want to change the school's culture for future classes, so they are meeting with younger students next month to speak about toxic masculinity."
      Right, so another class of boys growing up thinking that they bad simply for being boys.

Look, I get it, it sucks to find out that you're the least attractive person in the class. I'm sure I understand that better than most. But it doesn't do any good to simply rail against the biology, stamp your feet and bitch about how unfair it is. It'd do everyone better to tell them this is the reality of humans than to make them think that they're entitled to above average human kindness from everyone. That's just statistically impossible.

Shifting the median to the right was interesting to me. I'd imagine if the girls published a list it would be shifted to the left.
      "...but when she goes off you, she will not just walk away, she will walk away with your fucking skin in a jar." ~~ DoctorRandomercam
      "The laws of man, they don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye" - The Black Keys

Comment

we had this at a university in a dental school.....the fallout was the victims got to decide what happened to the perps, they decided to do nothing

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/dalhousi...ions-1.3212800

its all just a feminist circle jerk

maybe someone in the meeting should mention the ole, let them without sin throw the first stone thing, no one is more judgemental than women judging men.(ie.feminism)
        Last edited by menrppl2; 04-02-2019, 06:28 PM.
        A man can gain no more respect than by, laying down his life for a woman. And a woman, no more than by, beating down a man. For a man to ask, what is fair and good and true and just, is to offend.

Comment

Originally posted by menrppl2 View Post
          we had this at a university in a dental school.....the fallout was the victims got to decide what happened to the perps, they decided to do nothing

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/dalhousi...ions-1.3212800

its all just a feminist circle jerk
          Right, but one of the scary things is that "Damn that Carly girl is smoking hot" is written up in stories like the ones linked as "misogynistic comments". While most people would be against "misogynistic comments" I'm just not sure that most people would agree calling someone hot is a misogynistic comment, especially since it could easily be applied to any gender. But because that's what gets published, that becomes the prevailing opinion. Hence "Fake News".

What's really interesting about the article you linked is that it seems to be more about how pandering to the feminists is creating a financial strain on schools.

“This is yet another example of universities going over and above the spending that should have been permitted,” says Kevin Lacey, Atlantic Canada director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

Lacey says there’s no doubt Dalhousie was under pressure, but spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on PR consultants, when universities are, as he says, ‘quick to cry poor,’ is out of step with current financial realities.

Comment

When I was in high school, some girls on the bus openly made a list of the boys' attractiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by WontStepUp View Post
              When I was in high school, some girls on the bus openly made a list of the boys' attractiveness.
              Did you stop by to tell us that because you were at the top of the list?

Comment

Working...
              X