Bill Maher mocks men coerced into sex by women

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Maher mocks men coerced into sex by women

I've been a big fan of Bill Maher for quite a few years, and my respect for him increased after I came across some of his old clips which dealt with gender issues. There was his one standup routine complaining about society becoming overly 'feminized', and how men tend to just 'nod along', and accept whatever a woman is telling him as factual. Then there was the infamous dustup with ultra-mangina, Michael Moore ("Just nod! Just agree!").

But after watching his "Real Time" show tonight on HBO, Bill Maher is now officially on my shit list. In a sentiment that was highly reminiscent of the Daily Show sketch making fun of Warren Farrell and men's support groups, Maher had a brief segment touching on the recent study from the American Psychological Association, which noted that 43% of young men say they've had unwanted sexual contact with someone, typically a woman.

For perspective, here is the Time article on that study, from last week:

http://time.com/37337/nearly-half-of...-unwanted-sex/

The Maher show just aired, so if I find an online posting that includes the relevant section, I will post it to this thread some time this weekend.

Until then, I will recap the basics:

He started off by mockingly feigning tears, and referencing the findings of the study. From there, it went into a fake 'public service announcement', in which the 'condition' was referred to as 'LBS', or 'Lucky Bastard Syndrome.'

This shit is REALLY getting on my nerves - this cavalier attitude about male sexuality is incredibly harmful, yet it is wholly and utterly ingrained into the fabric of society! It's dumbfounding that even otherwise free-thinking, enlightened people like Maher can't seem to overcome it.

I might even go so far as to call it a REAL form of the 'rape culture' that Feminists have been screaming about for years. Men are just seen as so base and sex-crazed that they are assumed to be 'grateful' for ANY kind of sexual attention that's thrown their way by ANY woman.
    The Duluth Model is incomplete and outdated; It's time we replaced it with a Superior Model...

Originally posted by Humansplaining w/ Jarred View Post
    I've been a big fan of Bill Maher for quite a few years, and my respect for him increased after I came across some of his old clips which dealt with gender issues. There was his one standup routine complaining about society becoming overly 'feminized', and how men tend to just 'nod along', and accept whatever a woman is telling him as factual. Then there was the infamous dustup with ultra-mangina, Michael Moore ("Just nod! Just agree!").

But after watching his "Real Time" show tonight on HBO, Bill Maher is now officially on my shit list. In a sentiment that was highly reminiscent of the Daily Show sketch making fun of Warren Farrell and men's support groups, Maher had a brief segment touching on the recent study from the American Psychological Association, which noted that 43% of young men say they've had unwanted sexual contact with someone, typically a woman.

For perspective, here is the Time article on that study, from last week:

http://time.com/37337/nearly-half-of...-unwanted-sex/

The Maher show just aired, so if I find an online posting that includes the relevant section, I will post it to this thread some time this weekend.

Until then, I will recap the basics:

He started off by mockingly feigning tears, and referencing the findings of the study. From there, it went into a fake 'public service announcement', in which the 'condition' was referred to as 'LBS', or 'Lucky Bastard Syndrome.'

This shit is REALLY getting on my nerves - this cavalier attitude about male sexuality is incredibly harmful, yet it is wholly and utterly ingrained into the fabric of society! It's dumbfounding that even otherwise free-thinking, enlightened people like Maher can't seem to overcome it.

I might even go so far as to call it a REAL form of the 'rape culture' that Feminists have been screaming about for years. Men are just seen as so base and sex-crazed that they are assumed to be 'grateful' for ANY kind of sexual attention that's thrown their way by ANY woman.
    I mock them too - unless we're talking violent coercion or some sort of serious threat of financial or legal or other form of actual harm (these are defined as "force components" by the FBI) - you're a free agent responsible for your decisions. We shouldn't be letting women claim "I was raped because he said he would divorce me if I didn't have sex within a year of our honeymoon" or "I got drunk and had a one night stand and I'm not responsible for my choices" or "I took off my clothes and took off his clothes and climbed in bed with him but that didn't mean I wanted him to touch me" or any crap like that.

I had a woman pretty much explicitly tell me "sex or you don't see me again." I was quite in love with her and she didn't want to commit. I made the (wrong) choice to have sex with her even though I really didn't want to unless she was committing to a relationship - but it was still my choice.
    Last edited by Androgen; 04-05-2014, 12:41 PM.
    "Women are like that they dont acquire knowledge of people we are for that they are just born with a practical fertility of suspicion that makes a crop every so often and usually right they have an affinity for evil for supplying whatever the evil lacks in itself for drawing it about them instinctively as you do bed-clothing in slumber fertilising the mind for it until the evil has served its purpose whether it ever existed or no" - William Faulkner

Comment

Okay, first things first. The "Time" article opens with: "New study says it's possible for women to rape men:"

I gotta address that. Dear author, if you need a study to tell you that men can be raped, might I interest you in some other studies I would be willing to run if financed?
      - "Is it possible for flashlights (torches for the UK) to run out of power?"
      - "Is it possible for plates to come back down if thrown in the air really hard"?
      - "Does the pope poop?"
      Wait, strike that last one. There already is a comprehensive peer-reviewed research paper out.

With a bit less sarcasm: How far has our society fallen into the grasp of ideological rhetoric if it is apparently news that it even is possible for men to be raped?

Secondly: Let's not make the mistake that feminists tend to make and fudge the numbers. You know, that whole "five out of two women will be raped on the street without anyone intervening every second worldwide" shebang.
      "I did not really want to have sex, but I did not want to let my partner down and acted like I wanted more" is not in the same ballpark as "She held a knife to my throat and told me if I didn't comply she would cut me open from balls to neck". And again, "teacher seducing a twelve-year-old" is not the same as "a 21-year-old girlfriend seducing her 23-year-old boyfriend".
      The study also does not take into account if a student reported more than one form of coercion.
      Still, the study shows that sexual coercion by females is far more prevalent that the public narrative would ever have dreamed of.
      Just saying: Don't conflate.

Thirdly: Dear Bill, I like some of your comedy.
      I would like to invite you to take a few clues from a fellow artist. You would probably diagnose him with LBS.

Score for that Lucky Bastard(tm)! Right? RIGHT?!
      Last edited by Andres; 04-05-2014, 03:55 PM.
      12/12/12 -The day Germany decided boys are not quite human.

Comment

What about if a woman says "Fuck me or I'll cry rape/say that you hit me". That's a real threat that's hard to walk away from, since you're freedom/identity could easily be compromised due to our current fuckery of a court system.

Comment

Originally posted by Brand View Post
          What about if a woman says "Fuck me or I'll cry rape/say that you hit me". That's a real threat that's hard to walk away from, since you're freedom/identity could easily be compromised due to our current fuckery of a court system.
          I would say that this constitutes rape: The consequences of ignoring her threat are: Losing your livelihood and your reputation, your social circle, likely a jail sentence. It would be comparable to 'severe threat of bodily harm' ("I'll cut off your balls") - It's a severe threat to everything you are, a character assassination. Maybe even more than that because an accusation of rape can spread the stigma to your friends and family. And character "assassination" is called that because its often likened to a real assassination.
          In essence: You could argue that "Fuck me or I'll cry rape/say that you hit me" constitutes a death threat.
          Last edited by Andres; 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM.
          12/12/12 -The day Germany decided boys are not quite human.

Comment

You can't blame Maher for this. This is an attitude a large amount of makes have even anti feminist types

Comment

Equality being the goal, either we need to all not give a fuck about men and women being coerced into sex or we all need to give one giant fuck about it - for both genders.

It's the rally cries for females and silence for males that stinks.

If it's wrong to coerce a woman into sex then it follows that it must be wrong to coerce men. I really don't care about people being coerced into sex (absent real force factors) I just care that the attitudes about it aren't applied the same.
              Did you leave it better than you found it?

Comment

Fuck Bill Maher....

Al

Comment

Originally posted by OldNavy View Post
                  Equality being the goal, either we need to all not give a fuck about men and women being coerced into sex or we all need to give one giant fuck about it - for both genders.

If it's wrong to coerce a woman into sex then it follows that it must be wrong to coerce men. I really don't care about people being coerced into sex (absent real force factors) I just care that the attitudes about it aren't applied the same.
                  This all goes back to male disposability and how humanity, in general, does not treat men and boys as human beings that have feelings and emotions. If society admits that men and boys are human beings then they are no longer disposable. It makes it harder for society to use and abuse men/boys when they have attained the status as a human being because then all the protections of their rights will kick in. Now, I'm not a fan of Bill Maher in the slightest, but he did the MRHM a service when he joked about men and boys that are raped. He pointed out that men and boys cannot be victims. In doing so, he highlighted the fact that men and boys are not human beings. Men and boys are cogs in the machine that society is built upon and are seen as nothing more than tools to be used, abused, and discarded when they are no longer useable.

Review the seven steps of genocide and compare that to how men and boys are treated. You will be shocked to discover that society's treatment of men and boys adheres to the dehumanization of the seven steps to a Tee.
                  https://christianrestoration.wordpress.com/

Comment

Like I said - real coercion is rape. That is making a threat of substantial harm, physical, social, legal or otherwise. What isn't rape is: "He/she bought me drinks and I drank them and decided to have a one night stand." "He/she said they would break up with/divorce me if I kept refusing sex," "he/she used his/her 'wiles' on me."

Another thing that I do believe qualifies as coercion are extreme forms of fraud in the relationship: "He/she said he/she loved me but is in fact a government/organized crime agent/proxy hired to spy on me/witness tamper

"He/she said he/she was unmarried, but has a spouse."

"He/she said it was necessary for spiritual advancement according to x,y,z doctrine when x,y,z doctrine in fact does not specify that and such ritual sex is not practiced on a wider scale in x,y,z's belief system."
                    Last edited by Androgen; 04-05-2014, 05:28 PM.
                    "Women are like that they dont acquire knowledge of people we are for that they are just born with a practical fertility of suspicion that makes a crop every so often and usually right they have an affinity for evil for supplying whatever the evil lacks in itself for drawing it about them instinctively as you do bed-clothing in slumber fertilising the mind for it until the evil has served its purpose whether it ever existed or no" - William Faulkner

Comment

If you force everyone male and female to give a fuck about this Issue it's just going to make the Issue worse,
                      while having everyone not giving any fucks would definitely solve it...

I believe Rape jokes CAN be funny if told properly, the problem is that all too often they come off as forced...
                      "It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Jack H. View Post
                        If you force everyone male and female to give a fuck about this Issue it's just going to make the Issue worse,
                        while having everyone not giving any fucks would definitely solve it...

I believe Rape jokes CAN be funny if told properly, the problem is that all too often they come off as forced...
                        Oh my fucking God dude. First off, I've never told a rape joke because they're not funny simply because it's low-brow tasteless humor akin to how 10 year olds laugh at fart jokes. Secondly, stop conflating the feminist definition of "coercion" with "rape" - that's an incredible insult to anyone who's actually been forcibly raped. Thirdly, we don't have a men's rights group because there's a poverty of rape jokes.

Comment

Link to where Mr. Maher said that?
                          The ancient shitposter returns.

Comment

Originally posted by MrScruffles View Post
                            Link to where Mr. Maher said that?
                            He [Jack H.] implies that all the "rape" categories under that article fall under the definition of rape. I was talking to Jack H..

Comment

Originally posted by Androgen View Post
                              He [Jack H.] implies that all the "rape" categories under that article fall under the definition of rape. I was talking to Jack H..
                              Was responding to OP, sorry for not making that clear.
                              The ancient shitposter returns.

Comment

Working...
                              X