Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Couple Found After 75 years

http://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/sw...edium=facebook

This is a Ripley's news item about a couple who got lost in the Swiss mountains 75 years ago, and their bodies were found recently. I have a very strong opinion on this news item, while others may reasonably disagree.

Fine, but the global warming group had to put their nonsense in there. They said, "As glaciers melt, finds like this have become more common in the Alps. The melting ice even revealed a book carried by the Swiss couple."

I have always been a voracious reader. I read science books; fiction; science fiction; and almost everything else I could get my hands on from age 5 or 6. I also read Science Digest whenever available, And, labels on the box of Quaker Oats we ate on the farm.

Sometimes an interesting fact would catch my attention. One I read many times in many sources was that many glaciers (I am not going to say, all, because I do not know) will cast out after X years anything that falls into them at the top. The locals, the guides, et al, know how long that is.

Glaciers do not always sit there for all eternity, though again I cannot speak for all glaciers. But, many of them, depending upon the snow load and surrounding temperatures, will flow down hill at a very slow rate. Snow piles up on the top, and the weight pushes the glacier very slowly down the mountain. At a certain distance down, the end of the glacier receives no more snow than melts, and the bottom edge melts off completely at some point. Thus. those glaciers which do move will seem to eject the bodies eventually.

And, yes, the time to final expulsion may be 50 or 100 years. Depending on the specific glacier and its circumstances, it may not be safe to retrieve bodies, even when their location is known. A year or two ago, climbers on The Pico, the big Mexican volcano in Vera Cruz, reported a body in the snow. The park officials issued an edict that no one was allowed to try to retrieve the body, even though they know exactly where it is, because the risk is extremely high.

No, I don't know if the glacier on the Pico will move and eventually spit that body out, or not. No data here. ** And, right now, I suspect all the Ph.D's are going to deny the glacier movement, because their political agenda rejects any proof of melting not caused by GW, so no source of any value available to me.

Anyway, my personal opinion, which is subject to error, is the glaciers are not melting except as they slide down hill and the bottom melts off, a normal event. It was time for that poor couple to be ejected from the glacier.

** My guess is it will, because they checked the records, and a man fell in that glacier on the Pico around 1950. They apparently know who he is. So, the fact the body showed up after 65 years is a clue the glacier is not absolutely stable. But, it is only a clue, not absolute proof the glacier moves.

not sure what you're saying honestly

but:
    we've removed 80% of the trees off the planet
    we've created industry, cars cigarettes,
    we've removed water from aquifers
    i could go on and list things all day....
    we've created more change than the planet has seen since the last global extincting event...
    all in the last 200 years.

we are foolishly stupid if we do not realize this will have a massive reactionary impact soon.
    Originally posted by MatrixTransform
    where were you before you put yourself last?
    Originally posted by TheNarrator
    Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Comment

Originally posted by polite_disagreement View Post
      Glaciers .... will flow down hill at a very slow rate.
      Indeed; but that is not the whole story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrea...ers_since_1850

Anyway, my personal opinion, which is subject to error, is the glaciers are not melting except as they slide down hill and the bottom melts off, a normal event.
      AFAICS, this is not what the measurement data imply.

M

Comment

Glacial movement is true, it's also part of it that the weight of the glacier actually melts the surfaces in contact with the rock, thus making it an inevitable slow process. I have strong connections to Switzerland, the glaciers are long term friends to the Swiss. They as a people, at least used to, have a good understanding of glaciers. I've visited the oldest glacier there, many years ago when it was diminishing, that was long before the mass sounding off on global warming. The Swiss climate has been getting warmer, it's gotten hotter so much that I wont visit in summer any more.

However I really really dislike the connect everything to global warming politics. There is lots going on and all false connections to generate propaganda are harmful to any understanding. I find the science on global warming as the overall increase in planetary averages to be convincing and concerning, but the going on about various micro effects to be idiotic ranting from people who neither understand atmosphere, environment, climate, weather, coriolis effect, fluid dynamics, thermal boundaries, pressure dynamics, jetstreams, laws of thermodynamics or common sense.

All too often those bleating on just want to bleat to be listened too, and want to control people. They don't actually care to verify what they are claiming.
        "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."
        Originally posted by menrppl2
        Can't live with em, life is great without them.

Comment

http://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/sw...edium=facebook

This is a Ripley's news item about a couple who got lost in the Swiss mountains 75 years ago, and their bodies were found recently. I have a very strong opinion on this news item, while others may reasonably disagree.

Fine, but the global warming group had to put their nonsense in there. They said, "As glaciers melt, finds like this have become more common in the Alps. The melting ice even revealed a book carried by the Swiss couple."

I have always been a voracious reader. I read science books; fiction; science fiction; and almost everything else I could get my hands on from age 5 or 6. I also read Science Digest whenever available, And, labels on the box of Quaker Oats we ate on the farm.

Sometimes an interesting fact would catch my attention. One I read many times in many sources was that many glaciers (I am not going to say, all, because I do not know) will cast out after X years anything that falls into them at the top. The locals, the guides, et al, know how long that is.

Glaciers do not always sit there for all eternity, though again I cannot speak for all glaciers. But, many of them, depending upon the snow load and surrounding temperatures, will flow down hill at a very slow rate. Snow piles up on the top, and the weight pushes the glacier very slowly down the mountain. At a certain distance down, the end of the glacier receives no more snow than melts, and the bottom edge melts off completely at some point. Thus. those glaciers which do move will seem to eject the bodies eventually.

And, yes, the time to final expulsion may be 50 or 100 years. Depending on the specific glacier and its circumstances, it may not be safe to retrieve bodies, even when their location is known. A year or two ago, climbers on The Pico, the big Mexican volcano in Vera Cruz, reported a body in the snow. The park officials issued an edict that no one was allowed to try to retrieve the body, even though they know exactly where it is, because the risk is extremely high.

No, I don't know if the glacier on the Pico will move and eventually spit that body out, or not. No data here. ** And, right now, I suspect all the Ph.D's are going to deny the glacier movement, because their political agenda rejects any proof of melting not caused by GW, so no source of any value available to me.

Anyway, my personal opinion, which is subject to error, is the glaciers are not melting except as they slide down hill and the bottom melts off, a normal event. It was time for that poor couple to be ejected from the glacier.

** My guess is it will, because they checked the records, and a man fell in that glacier on the Pico around 1950. They apparently know who he is. So, the fact the body showed up after 65 years is a clue the glacier is not absolutely stable. But, it is only a clue, not absolute proof the glacier moves.

I've read similar accounts occurring in the Andes mountains in Peru.
          FEMINISM is a HATE GROUP - Feminists are HATEFUL PEOPLE
          It's time to call it out for what it is.

The World of Men - Men's Rights / MGTOW / Sites of Interest to Men

http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showt...nterest-to-Men

Comment

Originally posted by TheNarrator View Post
            not sure what you're saying honestly

but:
            we've removed 80% of the trees off the planet
            we've created industry, cars cigarettes,
            we've removed water from aquifers
            i could go on and list things all day....
            we've created more change than the planet has seen since the last global extincting event...
            all in the last 200 years.

we are foolishly stupid if we do not realize this will have a massive reactionary impact soon.
            And what might i ask is your solution to that?
            I sexually identify as a sword pommel, check your privilege or i will have to end you RIGHTLY.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
              And what might i ask is your solution to that?
              humans will die.
              probably all
              at least most.

there is no solution.
              Originally posted by MatrixTransform
              where were you before you put yourself last?
              Originally posted by TheNarrator
              Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

Comment

Do you begin to see the advantage of The Great Collapse, TN?

No, not all the people are going to die. But, if you want to believe they will, that is your right. As long as you don't try to kill billions of people by shutting down all sorts of productive activities.

A strange book I found, I assume on the Gutenberg project. Ragnarok. He claimed that Atlantis really existed, that much of the world was populated, when a comet came down and covered half the planet with gravel stuff. The humans who survived had to go deep into caves until it cooled down again. (He thought comets were very hot.)

Since it contradicts my asteroid theory, about the skin of the planet, moving around the core, I don't buy it. But, he does present some different concepts.

edited: to correct spelling of Atlantis, thanks for pointing it out.
                Last edited by polite_disagreement; 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

He claimed that Atlanta really existed
                  Of course it did, and still does. It's in Georgia. Do you, perhaps, mean "Atlantis" or are you referring to something else?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesNunya View Post
                    Of course it did, and still does. It's in Georgia. Do you, perhaps, mean "Atlantis" or are you referring to something else?
                    Hasn't that the mystery of Atlantis already been solved? A volcanic island within the Minoan islands civilisation blew up leaving a caldera and creating a tsunami that wiped most of their other islands. A hidden in plain sight mystery, because Minoan was never their name, it was just given to them by the first archaeologist to name them. What they called themselves or even others called them is lost.
                    "...especially when it comes to communication, it can be observed, if it is not a negotiation it's a war."
                    Originally posted by menrppl2
                    Can't live with em, life is great without them.

Comment

Those who believe that, consider it solved. Others do not. Besides, Ragnarok, while an interesting book is merely another theory. One based on extremely hot comets, which I suspect is not the case. I point it out only because he says all who survived did so by hiding underground for a very long time. The only way to kill all humans is pretty much disinfect the entire planet, not a slow die off from low food production.

Having taught survival class to Boy Scouts, I am amazed at the ability of some humans to survive in the most unbelievable conditions. And, all it takes is a pair and a lot of luck...

Comment

Having taught survival class to Boy Scouts, I am amazed at the ability of some humans to survive in the most unbelievable conditions. And, all it takes is a pair and a lot of luck...
                        Yes. Consider the Eskimo peoples. If you can stay in a place that in addition to lichens offers you seal and whale - and those you have to hunt from a kayak slightly more solid than an eggshell - and not only survive, but live and create a culture, then there's really very little limit to what humans can survive.

M

Comment

Working...
                        X