Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job search aggravation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by mr_e View Post
    Screw working for the government. Nice benefits at one time, but not so much anymore. You want to work for a Federal contractor. That's where the money is. Or in government grants. You've got all those degrees, why not start applying for grants? Study how many Muslims they can keep out per square foot of wall or something. There are so many zany fields of research that people actually pay money for, it's ridiculous. You might consider waste management-- I don't mean as a trash collector, but as a "researcher". They often go after grants or jobs where they have to have XYZ qualifications / credentials in order to qualify. I used to have a friend some years ago who worked in the industry and she was always hiring people just because they had to have some esoteric thing on the contract.
    You're kidding, right?

    Federal contractor, waste management, chemist (i.e. figuring out how to break down whatever crap is in the jar someone brought in): $11/hour. I shit you not. Yea, that's where the money is, but it's not going to the guy actually doing the work.

    Grants basically require a doctorate; what I need is to get a job in a lab working for a ph.d. physicist, both for the experience and because I need another letter for when I do finally get to go back to grad school (you need 3, and... well, I'm down to 2).

    Comment


    • #32
      Oh, I almost forgot about the half dozen chemical plants in town; I worked at one summer 2015 until they ran me off (I was wondering why they were chronically short-staffed; turns out they like it that way), but one of the others just opened up a bunch of positions, one of which was specifically for a physicist!

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
        Staples. Best Buy. Whatever that company is that emails me once a week for a contract tech position.




        Most of the southeast U.S.




        2/3 of 12 is 8, so that's about right.




        Well, the cost of living is next to nothing; right now, I'm renting a trailer for $100/week, including utilities. The downside is that you can't afford large items that are consistently priced across the country; cars, for example. I have never owned a new car in my life. When I had good jobs, I had 1-year-old used cars a couple of times (but never again!).


        And yes, moving would be great, except for a few problems:

        1. My children are here, I do not have custody, and their mothers are fruitcakes who will not move with me.

        2. The rest of the country seems to have a bias against Southerners. At least, every job interview I've ever gone out of town for left me feeling like I was the comparison model; i.e. they didn't take me seriously.

        I was hoping federal hiring might change that, but...
        Over here Walmart employees get paid what they deserve for their lack of brain cells, zilch/10$ an hour min wage.
        Let me guess, those support payments are making your life a little less breezy than my situation eh?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
          You're kidding, right?

          Federal contractor, waste management, chemist (i.e. figuring out how to break down whatever crap is in the jar someone brought in): $11/hour. I shit you not. Yea, that's where the money is, but it's not going to the guy actually doing the work.

          Grants basically require a doctorate; what I need is to get a job in a lab working for a ph.d. physicist, both for the experience and because I need another letter for when I do finally get to go back to grad school (you need 3, and... well, I'm down to 2).
          A few degrees sitting on your shelf collecting dust and your ready to go back for another pummeling?
          It might comfort you to know that the young uns like myself can learn a lot from you about what not to do...

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by mik1 View Post
            Over here Walmart employees get paid what they deserve for their lack of brain cells, zilch/10$ an hour min wage.
            Let me guess, those support payments are making your life a little less breezy than my situation eh?
            Yea, 1/3 of my income off the top makes things tricky.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by mik1 View Post
              A few degrees sitting on your shelf collecting dust and your ready to go back for another pummeling?
              It might comfort you to know that the young uns like myself can learn a lot from you about what not to do...
              Well, in retrospect, I should have picked a better career, although the current economic situation suggests that the only reliable careers are hedge fund manager and criminal (if that isn't redundant) .

              Comment


              • #37
                There's more to HVAC than installing gas furnaces. Think bigger.
                Johnson, Siemens, Tridium, SkySpark
                and you get to learn some new programming languages
                Just saying
                "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one" - Charles Mackay

                And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. - Donne

                "What we are seeing in this headless misandry is a grand display of the Tyranny of the Underdog: 'I am a wretchedly longstanding victim; therefore I own no burden of adult accountability, nor need to honor any restraint against my words and actions. In fact, all efforts to restrain me are only further proof of my oppressed condition.'
                "It is the most perfect trump-card against accountable living ever devised." - Gladden Schrock

                "What remains for most men in modern life is a world of expectation without reward, burden without honor and service without self" - Paul Elam

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
                  Well, in retrospect, I should have picked a better career, although the current economic situation suggests that the only reliable careers are hedge fund manager and criminal (if that isn't redundant) .
                  10 years ago IT was indeed hot, but it was ice cold 3 years prior. It's a very cyclical business, more so than most. When times have gotten bad IT is a cost, when they start warming up, an investment. That's somewhat true of any department but especially so in IT.
                  >>"and in other news, the Judge in the case of AVFM Vs Feminazism ruled today that the creators of 'Gender Equality' are guilty of Intent to Obtain Social Change by Deception. The Feminazi case collapsed just one day into the trial, after a 1st year medical student demonstrated that men are not, in fact, equal to women".<<


                  Newbie AVFM Member, 2 days in: "My eyes, why do my eyes hurt?"

                  Jaybee, cautious tone: "You've never used them before".

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Jaybee View Post
                    10 years ago IT was indeed hot, but it was ice cold 3 years prior. It's a very cyclical business, more so than most. When times have gotten bad IT is a cost, when they start warming up, an investment. That's somewhat true of any department but especially so in IT.
                    IT is often a rather broad net. There is always opportunity available but the job titles and specializations certainly do change over time. A few of the bigger shifts would be moving from personal computers to mobile, and local servers moving into the cloud. Things change but I'm not sure what you mean by "ice cold". I've a couple of friends who specialized in software development, one is currently managing all of the IT operations for a small company while coasting along fixing bugs for an online application, no shortage of opportunity for him.
                    Degrees are overrated, you learn as much as you can through experience and vary your skillset as much as possible without compromising on your primary skills, a jack of all trades and master of one (yes "one", not "none")

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Jaybee View Post
                      10 years ago IT was indeed hot, but it was ice cold 3 years prior. It's a very cyclical business, more so than most. When times have gotten bad IT is a cost, when they start warming up, an investment. That's somewhat true of any department but especially so in IT.
                      lol really? talk about the art of saying nothing while saying lots... care to go into it further? or just keep talking without any basis? IT is still totally hot if you're good at it. i know several guys making 100k a year at a very easy 35h a week jobs.

                      just need to find a nice niche to settle into.. thats like any business.
                      Originally posted by MatrixTransform
                      where were you before you put yourself last?
                      Originally posted by TheNarrator
                      Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by mik1 View Post
                        IT is often a rather broad net. There is always opportunity available but the job titles and specializations certainly do change over time. A few of the bigger shifts would be moving from personal computers to mobile, and local servers moving into the cloud. Things change but I'm not sure what you mean by "ice cold". I've a couple of friends who specialized in software development, one is currently managing all of the IT operations for a small company while coasting along fixing bugs for an online application, no shortage of opportunity for him.
                        Degrees are overrated, you learn as much as you can through experience and vary your skillset as much as possible without compromising on your primary skills, a jack of all trades and master of one (yes "one", not "none")
                        yep. Mk1 gets it. definitely one of those professions you have to be willing to change and adapt with and find your niche
                        Originally posted by MatrixTransform
                        where were you before you put yourself last?
                        Originally posted by TheNarrator
                        Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
                          Well, in retrospect, I should have picked a better career, although the current economic situation suggests that the only reliable careers are hedge fund manager and criminal (if that isn't redundant) .
                          Hindsight is 20/20, you probably made the best choice you could at the time. It's easy for me to criticize but degrees were probably worth a damn when you got yours. College was just starting it's plummeting decline of usefulness when I was nailing down 50% grades in highschool. Wasn't a chance in hell of staying awake through academic college courses for me and my folks couldn't afford it anyways.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
                            Yea, 1/3 of my income off the top makes things tricky.
                            Yikes!, I know i've said it before but I'm digging up sympathy for you that I didn't even know I had
                            Have you thought about leaving the country...

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by StrongSilentType View Post
                              Yea, 1/3 of my income off the top makes things tricky.
                              and taxes....

                              so.. lets say 2/3? haha

                              Originally posted by mik1 View Post
                              Yikes!, I know i've said it before but I'm digging up sympathy for you that I didn't even know I had
                              Have you thought about leaving the country...

                              thats my advice to any man paying alimony ^^^^^
                              Originally posted by MatrixTransform
                              where were you before you put yourself last?
                              Originally posted by TheNarrator
                              Everywhere I travel, tiny life. Single-serving sugar, single-serving cream, single pat of butter. The microwave Cordon Bleu hobby kit. Shampoo-conditioner combos, sample-packaged mouthwash, tiny bars of soap. The people I meet on each flight? They're single-serving friends.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by TheNarrator View Post
                                lol really? talk about the art of saying nothing while saying lots... care to go into it further? or just keep talking without any basis? IT is still totally hot if you're good at it. i know several guys making 100k a year at a very easy 35h a week jobs.

                                just need to find a nice niche to settle into.. thats like any business.
                                What are the primary skillsets of these rich pricks?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X